All Purpose Cleaner Recipe & Bird Mobile!

My kids requested pancakes this morning and I almost made them... but decided I was too tired to deal with the mess and the massive amount of dishes making pancakes from scratch seem to make. Yes, DIY-ing is not always sunshine and roses! :-( I did get as far as making baking powder for our recipe since the can we had was full of nasty phosphates and expired about a year ago O_O  So I'll throw that recipe in here too in case anyone wants it. It was from food.com

DIY BAKING POWDER:
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
1 teaspoon Cornstarch
Combine & stir or shake to mix. Done!

Since I also discovered I was almost out of my All-Purpose Spray Cleaner when I pulled the baking soda out from under the sink, I decided I would make some more of that this morning instead since it is as easy as the baking powder. Sorry kids, your pancakes lost out to a much easier recipe... I use this to clean everything from the kitchen to the bathroom. It has the disinfectant power of vinegar, and added power of odor removal if you add lemon juice and anti-fungal/viral properties if you add essential oils. It works great for windows and mirrors. My tip for using cloth instead of newspaper/paper towels to clean windows and mirrors - Have a wet and a dry rag. Spray just enough to thoroughly clean your surface, go over with the wet rag and wipe the cleaner off, then go over with the dry towel to kind of buff the surface dry. I never have streaks with this method, though I will happily admit I couldn't care less if I did! Anyhow, here's the recipe:

ALL-PURPOSE VINEGAR SPRAY CLEANER:
1. Obtain an empty spray bottle. You can buy an empty one from any major retailer in the cleaning aisle. If you decide to upcycle an older cleaner bottle just make sure to thoroughly clean it out with water and maybe a little baking soda and vinegar shaken up in there to remove the residual chemicals.
2. Fill your bottle halfway with white vinegar.
3. Leaving a small gap at the top for mixing (a few inches) fill most of the rest of the way up with water (I like to add a tiny bit more vinegar than water, but if you're getting used to the smell you can add a little more water instead.)
4. Add roughly 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (This is optional)
5. Add 30-40 drops of your choice of essential oils (This is optional) I use Tea Tree Oil, Lavender Oil, Grapefruit Oil, Sweet Orange Oil, and a Lemon and Eucalyptus Oil Blend.
6. Add the spray top, shake to mix, and go clean! Wasn't that EASY?



In other news I finally finished (& LOVE!) my crochet birdie mobile! This is a step in the right direction for my shop as I am trying to make a move toward more unique items with customization and individuality as the focus going forward. In other words, simplicity should have a purpose and serve to enhance the pleasure of the viewer, otherwise more embellishment is needed! A fair goal considering that was always my intent... (Sorry Mies van der Rohe, sometimes More is More!) ;-) Without further ado, here is a link to the listing for the Birds of a Feather Mobile and some pictures: http://www.etsy.com/listing/104675185/crochet-bird-mobile-baby-mobile-birds


Just for fun I'll also offer a picture of a cute naked baby! Hi Izze!



Thanks for stopping by again! Please feel free to share your questions, comments, and any brands or websites you find especially helpful - let everyone know what YOU think!



Comments

  1. Do you use all of those essentials oils together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Haven I do. I use 30-40 drops total in a mix of those 5. I started out just using Tea Tree, then added lavender. The others I picked up for various other recipes and started adding them because of their own properties. Citrus oils are great for cleaning just because of the fresh scent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts